Saturday 7 March 2009

My new bag! (yes, another one!)

Haven't been able to blog about anything I have made recently as it has been for a secret swap, but now I have sent all my gifts off I can start making things for me!
So, in a fit of madness I bought a really pretty skirt in the sale that is never going to fit me

Nice isn't it?

Then I decided to make a purse/wallet out of it as when I go to the shops/school run I just want to take my money, cards, phone and keys, I don't need nappy and child stuff all the time. So I got scissor happy and made this

The one on the left is a purse, made from the zip section of the skirt, with the hanging tie left in so I can clip my keys to it with my money and it zips without me having to add a zip!!!!

The bit on teh right is a small wallet thing made of the skirt outer and liner plus 2 snaps. It has 2 pockets front and back, divided down the middle, each pocket section fits either cards/stamps/receipts or my phone (which I was using to take pics but it fits, honest) The purse also slips into the middle so I can carry the whole thing in one hand easily, or put it into a pocket with no problem (unless I have too many coins....then I start to keel over)

Then, a few days later I looked at the remnants of the skirt and figured I could sew up the big slice I had hacked out of it, cut a strip off the bottom and make a bag, so I did!

Here (scuse rubbish pic) you can see the strip of pockets I made by sewing the strip off the bottom around the lining and then dividing it. I added a D clip onto one side

The outside.
And you can just see on the left, a pocket I added with elastic at the top that fits a ball of yarn and a crochet hook, so I can crochet on the go without removing all the yarn or another project bag!
I used the waist tie of the skirt as a strap, currently it is tied onto the waistbands but I am thinking of fixing it at some point...maybe.

Took about an hour altogether, and I love that it looks all neat and seamed, when I didn't have to do anything to the edges!

No comments:

Post a Comment